Have you been searching for some rhythm guitar techniques? Surely, strumming a chord sounds so nice to our ears but when we are able to add effective rhythm guitar techniques, we can definitely take our guitar playing experience to another higher level.
Rhythm guitar is tough to master but easy to learn. You will not find any trouble whatsoever to learn out these open chords but if you want to develop better guitar playing skills it is extremely crucial indeed to learn following 5 rhythm guitar techniques:
- Power Chords – In order to start with, you must focus on developing power chords as they will simply add more colors to your playing. The best aspect of these power chords is, they are pretty easy to learn. It is mainly due to their open unique sound, they do work nicely with distortion. Even, if you carefully observe many styles of popular music, you will definitely found these power chords as an important element. No matter if you are new or an experienced guitarist, it is extremely required to work on these power chords and try to develop complete control.
- Palm Muting – If you really desire to generate completely different and amazing sound from your guitar, it is required to learn out the art of muting the strings. With muting, you will be able to muffle the tone and also reduce the duration of the pitch. In order to mute the guitar, you are just required to place the picking hand side close to the bridge and against the strings. This particular technique is extremely effective in producing the right amount of the pressure so that notes will sound muffled but they are not fully stopped. Generally, professional guitarists like to apply this particular technique in combination with distortion and power chords. For individuals, who are interested in taking the technique to another level can simply play the selected notes open to generate a perfect accent.
- Fret Hand Muting – Fret hand muting will always remain an incredible way to produce exciting rhythmic variety in the strumming. When you apply your fret hand to mute the strings, you are just required to release the pressure from the frets in order to make strings dampened. This muting technique is quite different from the palm muting as here there is no need to pitch to sound. With fret hand muting, you are able to produce a thunk sound and pleasing rhythmic patterns are developed when you mix open strums with damped strums. This particular muting method also works well with barre sounds so you must try to learn it out as soon as possible.
- Playing Guitar In the Higher Frets – On many occasions it has been observed, a good number of guitarists never learn to use the exact full range of the instrument. Most of these guitarists will play the guitar in first 5-7 frets. In order to become a well renowned or perfect guitarist, you must try hard to learn right use of the higher frets. In general, there are two adequate ways to play the guitar in higher frets: first, apply a capo and second is to learn the movable barre chord. The application of capo is a simple yet effective technique to enjoy higher frets of the guitar. On the other hand, if you use movable barre chords, you must invest little more effort but they will pay off in the near future.
- Try to learn out chord conversions and slash chords – Last but not the least, learning out the chord conversions and slash chords will act as a nice working rhythm guitar technique. This topic is a bit complicated so you must learn out the names of the notes which are present on the lower strings. The purpose behind this technique is to develop skills to play the bass note when you observe a slash code. This technique is ideally used when bass playing is not there. With code conversions and slash chords you will be able to capture the sound of the composer even when there is no bass. Ideally, you will be playing the chord on the left side of the slash but the note just next right of the slash should be the lowest sounding note.
Hope you have enjoyed the 5 rhythm guitar techniques mentioned above and will make the best possible efforts to apply them. Learning guitar is a never ending process but it will always add more fun and entertainment to your faced paced life.